Lemons. Just the name can get the mouth watering! I’m lucky to live in a place where lemon trees brighten every neighborhood. A fresh slice squeezed in a glass of ice water or over a filet of barbecued salmon. Yum! Or lemonade on a hot summer’s day. As children we passed the summertime selling lemonade to the golfers that passed by our house. I usually got bored & left to play while my brother raked in all the quarters! Picking fresh fruit continues to bring joy to the children (& adults) in our family.
Lemon Essential Oil is also easy to use & reasonably priced. Benefits of using lemon include clearing toxins from the air, uplifting mood, energizing, cleansing & aiding digestion (ever heard the recommendation to drink lemon water every morning?).
Lemon is the perfect tool to have on hand when that deep cleaning mood strikes because it cleanses stubborn grime while energizing & uplifting the cleaner in the process! Here are a few favorite tricks for cleaning with lemon essential oil:
- Clothing Stains: Dab directly on stain & wash as recommended. *Easily removed stains that were probably a couple years old on a white dress I hadn’t worn in years!
- Bathtub: Apply a few drops and sprinkle with baking soda. Scrub with a brush or cloth to easily remove soap, dirt & hard water build-up from tub and faucet. *I also like to use lemongrass essential oil for my tub – both work wonders & smell amazing!
- Freshen Towels: Add a drop or two to the washing machine to brighten whites & rid towels of mildew smell (when left wet in the washing machine too long!).
- Easy Counter Spray: Add 10 drops to spray bottle & fill water. Spray & wipe. *Please note that essential oils should be kept in glass. Some recipes are diluted enough to recommend an alternative container – but glass is the preferred choice.
- Removing sticky substances: Apply directly to sticker residue, gum or tar to remove the gunk! *Remember citrus oils can melt plastics so be careful what surfaces you choose to clean!!
- Purify the Air: Put a few drops in a diffuser or make a simple room freshening spray by adding to water in a glass spray bottle. A good friend just made me this one that I love using in the kitchen & bathroom!
What are your favorite cleaning tips or uses for lemons or lemon essential oil?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” – That Mr. Einstein sure was a wise man. I strive to stay positive about the constant balancing act between all aspects of life and wellness. To be at peace with where I am on my wellness journey in any particular moment, I cannot see “balance” as a final goal or destination. Instead I look to find peace & mindfulness by being present, acting from a place of love & putting energy into the many things I love and need. There is beauty, joy & excitement to be found in accepting that finding “balance” is an ongoing piece of our lives.
Finding a moment of peace and beauty on our mid-week hike!
When it comes to a balanced diet, it is no secret that sugar is my vice. Sometimes I feel in control, balanced… and other times I am at the mercy of cravings. Hard cycle to beat. I strive to follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to eating healthy. I stay away from sugary drinks & processed foods so that I can indulge in chocolate & baked treats. But let’s save the balanced diet discussion & challenges for another day. Because today I want to send you into the weekend with a delightful gluten-free cupcake recipe to try! I adapted this from a recipe on Pinterest so check it out in all it’s tasty glory here! Below are the changes I made to the recipe to create a lemon cupcake with lavender frosting!
Lemon Cupcakes (Gluten-Free) with Simple Lavender Frosting
Yields: approx. 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix (flour) with xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- OPTIONAL: 5 drops of certified therapeutic grade Lemon Essential Oil *always do your own research before consuming essential oils
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line cupcake pan
- Mix all wet ingredients (coconut oil, vanilla, milk, eggs) & sugar in a medium bowl
- Add dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) & mix well
- Stir in lemon zest & essential oil (optional)
- Bake on center oven rack for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool completely. Frost & Serve.
- Powdered Sugar
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Oil
- Certified therapeutic grade Lavender Essential Oil *see notes above on consuming essential oils
- Start with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon coconut oil & a splash of almond milk
- Mix well & add more sugar or milk as needed to achieve desired consistency
- add 1-2 drops essential oil, taste & increase to achieve desired flavor *note: essential oils are very potent & it is easy to overdo this!
That’s it! This is currently my go-to cupcake recipe as it is easily adapted to various flavors! For a more basic flavor try vanilla cakes (leave out lemon) & chocolate frosting (leave out lavender & add cocoa) … easy & delicious!
Did you know you can bake cupcakes in advance? If you refrigerate cupcakes they will dry out. But you can bake them, freeze them, defrost & frost when you are ready to serve. This means you can bake ahead of time & the day of your party impress your guests with fresh baked goodies! Or if you have more self-control then I do, you can bake cupcakes and keep them in the freezer for whenever you want a quick, homemade dessert!
ENJOY & have a great weekend (almost)!!!