I must confess. A few things. But don’t take this disclaimer as a discredit for my pie. It is DELICIOUS & I’m super proud of creating it. However, I think you should know my mother bakes the best apple pie. In the world. Truly. My great-grandmothers were both very talented pie makers. They both lived in rural Indiana & passed the skill and love of pie making onto my mom. My brother picked it up for a season, but so far no one in my family has adopted the tradition.
It isn’t because I don’t want to, but replicating it seems impossible. And furthermore, I can’t get myself to bake with the ingredients of my great-grandmothers. There are many reasons for this, but that is a discussion for another day.
Lastly, I don’t follow recipes. I substitute things that shouldn’t be. I don’t measure – that is likely blaspheme in a true baker’s kitchen. Anyways, all that to say, we are lucky to have this recipe. When I bake it is a wild experience & you never know the outcome. When things don’t turn out it is no loss. But when they do, I am always a little sad I can never replicate it as I cannot remember what I did the first time around. This time it was superb, so I decided to quickly re-create & record the ingredients.
Do you like pie? Do you enjoy healthier versions of traditional favorites? And do you enjoy the immediate gratification of a fast & simple dessert? Good, you will love this.
Apple Pie – the simple & (almost) sugar-free way
- 1 heaping Tablespoon flax meal
- 2 Tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- pinch salt
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- parchment paper
- pie dish
- 4 medium size apples (pink or green)
- 2 Tablespoons local honey
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 Tablespoons grassfed butter
- cinnamon to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix flax & coconut milk in large bowl. Whisk until it forms an egg-like consistency.
- Add coconut oil & coconut milk. Mix well.
- Add flours & pinch salt. Stir until combined.
- Roll dough onto parchment paper until about 1/8″ thick. Place into pie dish.
- Slice apples as thin as possible.
- In a bowl, mix apple slices, honey, coconut oil, butter & cinnamon.
- Pile apple filling onto center of crust & fold edges up over the apples.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Turn oven up to 425 degrees and bake 25 minutes.
- Once crust is firm to touch & lightly browned, slice & enjoy!
- Be sure to save a piece for tomorrow’s breakfast 🙂