What better way to beat this heat than a steaming bowl of spicy chili? Okay, I’ll just let you know now. My cooking is as eclectic as the rest of my lifestyle – wardrobe, home décor, hobbies, music – I am all over the map. I like to think of myself as well-rounded. It is the middle of the summer & I suppose I should be eating salads & keeping things light. Well… chili sounded good. Actually my dear friend & co-worker inspired this recipe when I was drooling over her lunch instead of enjoying my own!
If it is too weird, or too hot, feel free to wait a few months for cooler weather before trying it! However, I recommend whipping it up in the morning for an easy mid-week dinner. Plus, the leftovers will keep your lunches simple & healthy!
Chili Verde Chili Recipe Prep Time: 20 minutes; Cook Time: 8 hours; Servings: 4
- 2 small yellow onions – chopped
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- dash chili powder, dried garlic
- 8oz coconut milk
- 4 small green chilies – picked from my patio garden & chopped
- 8 oz homemade chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can white beans
- 4-5 oz Salsa Verde – I used Trade José’s brand
- 2-4 tsp ground cumin – to taste
- 1/4 t paprika
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- salt & pepper – to taste
- 1 T arrowroot powder
- Optional Toppings: Greek yogurt, avocado, &/or cheese (Pepper Jack or Parmesan are extra tasty!)
Note: I strive to use organic/pesticide-free, free range, & local ingredients whenever possible 🙂
- Chop onions & place in bottom of the crockpot.
- Heat olive oil (or coconut oil) & brown chicken adding chili powder, dried garlic, salt & pepper to taste. Add garlic to hot pan for 30 seconds. Add to crockpot.
- Add coconut milk, green chilies, chicken broth, beans, salsa & spices to crock pot.
- Stir, cover & turn crockpot on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken & shred with a fork.
- Stir arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) into the chili to thicken slightly.
- Add shredded chicken back in.
- Scoop into bowl & add toppings of your choice! Enjoy!!
If you try this & experiment with other ingredients please comment & share!!