Anyone else following some of the raw foodies on Instagram? Seems like most of them are Australian. Every photo is a mouth-watering plate of tropical fruits or a perfectly layered parfait of various raw food delights! Where can I order one of these? If I had access to this every day healthy eating would be a breeze!
What about the recently exploded trend in California – the acai bowl? Tasty, but at $10 a pop & questionable amounts of added sugar it may not be a great daily habit.
So what to do? I decided to finally attempt a smoothie bowl at home. The secret? Choose your favorite smoothie recipe. Put everything in the blender until smooth. Pour in a beautiful bowl instead, tops with more fresh fruit or toppings of your choice. Eat with a spoon. Ta-da!
I like all three of the Dr. Oz detox smoothie recipes as a base. I alter them depending on my current mood & what is in the refrigerator. But if you are new to blending it is helpful to follow a recipe so you don’t end up with a glob of brown/green, funky-tasting slop! Check out his recipes here! Below is what I did.
Layered Smoothie Bowl Recipe
*two servings (share with a friend!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup kale
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 drop each ginger & lemon essential oils (be sure brand used is safe to ingest)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax
Chia Pudding Ingredients: (optional for layering)
- 3 Tablespoons chia
- 1 cup water or almond milk
- pure vanilla extra
- 1 drop orange essential oil (be sure brand used is safe to ingest)
optional toppings: cacao nibs, coconut flakes, nuts, seeds, sliced fresh fruit, granola
- Whisk chia, 1 cup water, 1 drop orange essential oil & splash of vanilla in a glass bowl.
- Cover a place in refrigerator over night.
- Add all smoothie ingredients to a high-powered blender & process until smooth. *Essential oils should only be used in glass (no plastic) so mix in after removing from the blender if there are any plastic parts. These oils can break down the chemicals in plastic which you can then ingest & this can damage your blender.
- Prepare toppings & slice desired fresh fruit.
- Layer in a bowl or clear mason jar: granola, smoothie, chia, smoothie, granola & finish with any other desired toppings.
- Take a picture of your food art & enjoy!!