The day has finally come – I made body butter! After months of using coconut oil, olive oil & even raw shea (warmed between the palms) to moisturize, I just cannot go back to store bought lotion or creams. The purity, hydration & richness my skin absorbs from pure ingredients cannot be matched. Here is the recipe…
Soothing Lavender Body Butter (Makes 8-10 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup fractionated coconut oil (FCO) – I used half FCO & half EVOO
- certified therapeutic grade essential oils – I used 5 drops Sandlewood, 5 drops Frankincense, 10 drops Orange & 10 drops Lavender
- double boiler – I use a quart size mason jar in a pot of hot water & have only broken one glass jar so far!
- electric hand mixer
- two 4 ounce containers (glass or highest quality plastics)
- Boil a couple of inches water in a pot on the stove.
- Add all ingredients except essential oils to mason jar & place in the hot water.
- Stir with a wooden skewer (or Popsicle stick) until melted – takes about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat for 5 minutes before adding essential oils of your choice.
- Cool in the refrigerator overnight (or until it sets).
- Beat on increasing speeds for about 5 minutes (until whipped light & fluffy).
- Transfer to containers *note you can chill & re-whip the body butter if it ever loses the desired consistency due to hot weather
Reminder: Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity & it is recommended you only apply to the skin 12 hours before sun exposure (ie: before bed).