“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” – That Mr. Einstein sure was a wise man. I strive to stay positive about the constant balancing act between all aspects of life and wellness. To be at peace with where I am on my wellness journey in any particular moment, I cannot see “balance” as a final goal or destination. Instead I look to find peace & mindfulness by being present, acting from a place of love & putting energy into the many things I love and need. There is beauty, joy & excitement to be found in accepting that finding “balance” is an ongoing piece of our lives.
When it comes to a balanced diet, it is no secret that sugar is my vice. Sometimes I feel in control, balanced… and other times I am at the mercy of cravings. Hard cycle to beat. I strive to follow the 80/20 rule when it comes to eating healthy. I stay away from sugary drinks & processed foods so that I can indulge in chocolate & baked treats. But let’s save the balanced diet discussion & challenges for another day. Because today I want to send you into the weekend with a delightful gluten-free cupcake recipe to try! I adapted this from a recipe on Pinterest so check it out in all it’s tasty glory here! Below are the changes I made to the recipe to create a lemon cupcake with lavender frosting!
Lemon Cupcakes (Gluten-Free) with Simple Lavender Frosting
Yields: approx. 12 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free baking mix (flour) with xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- OPTIONAL: 5 drops of certified therapeutic grade Lemon Essential Oil *always do your own research before consuming essential oils
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & line cupcake pan
- Mix all wet ingredients (coconut oil, vanilla, milk, eggs) & sugar in a medium bowl
- Add dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) & mix well
- Stir in lemon zest & essential oil (optional)
- Bake on center oven rack for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- Cool completely. Frost & Serve.
- Powdered Sugar
- Almond Milk
- Coconut Oil
- Certified therapeutic grade Lavender Essential Oil *see notes above on consuming essential oils
- Start with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon coconut oil & a splash of almond milk
- Mix well & add more sugar or milk as needed to achieve desired consistency
- add 1-2 drops essential oil, taste & increase to achieve desired flavor *note: essential oils are very potent & it is easy to overdo this!
That’s it! This is currently my go-to cupcake recipe as it is easily adapted to various flavors! For a more basic flavor try vanilla cakes (leave out lemon) & chocolate frosting (leave out lavender & add cocoa) … easy & delicious!
Did you know you can bake cupcakes in advance? If you refrigerate cupcakes they will dry out. But you can bake them, freeze them, defrost & frost when you are ready to serve. This means you can bake ahead of time & the day of your party impress your guests with fresh baked goodies! Or if you have more self-control then I do, you can bake cupcakes and keep them in the freezer for whenever you want a quick, homemade dessert!
ENJOY & have a great weekend (almost)!!!